Roxboro Place was registered as a new Calgary subdivision on October 4, 1911. “Along the river and through the trees” was a marketing slogan used by the principal developer to describe the qualities of this new community and entice new buyers. It was bound on the north by the Elbow River, to the east by Roxboro Hill/Roxboro Park, to the west by 4th Street SW and south by 34th Avenue.
A few months later, on December 4, 1911, the twin community of “Rideau Park Extension” was opened as a new subdivision of Calgary. It too was bound on the north by the Elbow River as well as its western edge, to the east by 4th Street SW and south by Mission Hill.
A concrete bridge (replacing a wooden bridge which had been destroyed by flooding) was built across the Elbow in 1915, connecting residents to its northern neighbours. It is still known today as the Mission Bridge.
The combined Rideau Roxboro Community Association of Calgary was registered under the Societies Act of Alberta on May 13, 1960. Its objective at that time was to provide a community hall and recreational facilities for its residents. The original Marion Gibson Hall was constructed during that year – later replaced by a more substantial log house frame, built by the resident O’Gorman brothers in1981. It is a character and historic clubhouse very much in use today.
The community has a vivid history, housing the first local Commissioner of the RCMP, it was home to famous author W.O. Mitchell and several of the notable families responsible for Calgary’s early development. Many of the original homes built during these years still stand today. Early commercial development included greenhouses, a radio station (CFAC) and later Calgary Television Ltd. The 10th Calgary Troop Boy Scout Hall (known today as Sara Scout Hall) was built in 1929 – it also functioned as a venue to hold townhall meetings of the communities. Although severely damaged by the 2013 flood, it stands rebuilt today. Rideau Park Elementary and Junior High School was completed in 1930 and continues today as a fully-functional and busy educational facility for community students.
The community is lush with trees and wonderful vistas along the Elbow River. Many nature walks have been developed over the Roxboro Park and Mission Hill escarpments. In addition, there is immediate access to the Calgary bike pathway system accessing Stanley Park to the south, in minutes. Roxboro Park is a large area on the east side of the community which boasts a new (2021) modern natural playground and a popular off-leash area. On the same site is located the historical Roxboro Community Association building, tennis and basketball courts and a skating rink during the winter months. The community also developed extensive boulevard gardens along 4th Street SW – originally as a traffic calming project in 2000. The Elbow Island Park located on the Elbow River (originally owned by CPR) is a jewel of the community – it has recently been redeveloped by the City and Province to better withstand flooding, to safeguard natural fish habitat; it has fun and funky works of art and lots of wide walking paths for families to enjoy. Travel along 4th Street SW allows quick access to downtown, restaurants, coffee bars, grocery stores and the entertainment district of 17th . Avenue SW. The Community Association organizes social events throughout the year – highlighted by the “Summer Hummer” and “Winterfest.”